To celebrate Earth Day 2021 we wanted to create a quick post to highlight our favourite mammals – whales (if you hadn’t guessed!).
We created a list about why the gentle giants of the sea are so important.
- They are beautiful, majestic and very cute.
- Their poo ‘fertilises’ the sea so carbon absorbing phytoplankton can grow.
- After they die their carbon rich bodies sink deep and provide nutrients to lots of deep sea organisms.
- They keep balance in marine ecosystems by eating and controlling predator fish.
- They support economies- whale Watching tourism is worth >$2.1 billion USD per year ( 250,000 Whale Watchers in Iceland per year!).
What’s not to love!